Wednesday, January 27, 2021
For Immediate Release
Shane Rhinewald, 585-410-6365, firstname.lastname@example.org new email
Did you know that the Wright Brothers were inspired by a rubber band-powered helicopter toy? Celebrate the joy and playfulness of flight—from hot air balloons and planes, to drones and spaceships—at Take Flight, a new, original exhibit opening February 6 at The Strong.
Learn about the history of flight-based toys with examples from The Strong’s collection, explore the diverse group of women and men that took flying to new heights, and test your flying skills at a variety of stations for the littlest aviators and the biggest kids:
- View large-scale model airplanes soaring overheard courtesy of the Glenn H. Curtiss Aviation Museum and The Strong’s wide collection of toy airplanes.
- Walk through the history and scope of flight with a video detailing the various ways that humans have taken to the sky—and beyond!
- Learn about the important role of the Tuskegee Airmen and see a G.I. Joe inspired by their legendary flights.
- Discover the many contributions of women to flight and see an Amelia Earhart-inspired Barbie doll.
- Explore the history of flight in board games and play a reproduction of World Flyers from the 1920s.
- Design a paper airplane and test your throwing skills at a distance and accuracy station.
- Jump into the cockpit and play your way through classic flying video games, such as Time Pilot 2048, After Burner, and Apollo 14.
- Create a paper airplane, upload its image, and watch it take flight in digital form.
- For the littlest aviators, zoom rocket ships around a lunar setting and explore the wonders of space.
Museum Hours: The museum’s December hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday & Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. All guests, including members, must have a ticket to enter the museum. Learn more at museumofplay.org/play-safe.
General Admission Fees: Age 2 and older $18, under age 2 free, members free. Fees subject to change.
Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden Hours: The garden’s fall hours are 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. daily. Last entry is at 2:15 p.m.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $4 for members, $5 for non-members, under age 2 free. Fees subject to change.
Parking: Parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis in the museum’s parking garage for free now through the end of July. Parking is $5 for non-members. Members can use one of their six annual parking validations during their visit. Once all validations are used, members may park in the garage for $5. More details at museumofplay.org/visit/directions-and-parking.