The Strong Museum is Open!
As we reopen, you will notice some changes including touchless payments, limited capacity, timed tickets, and enhanced sanitation protocols. While the museum experience will be a bit different from the last time that you visited, one essential thing will remain the same: our mission to promote the importance of play, with its power to teach, spark imagination, and create joy. Let’s play!
Quick Guide: What to Know Before You Go
- Daily capacity will be limited.
- Online reservations are required for a specific dates and entry times.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home.
- Face masks are required for all medically able guests age 2 and over.
- Physical distancing measures will be implemented.
- Food service areas will be closed.
- Food is not allowed in the museum.
- Additional sanitation measures have been added.
The Strong follows guidelines and recommendations from state and county health departments. We expect to adapt, change, or ease these policies as the health conditions change.
Learn More Before Your Visit!
Hours and Admission Fees
Prepare for Your Visit at Home
Staff Safety Procedures
Modified Areas in the Museum
Closed Areas in the Museum
To provide the best visitor experience and adhere to social distancing guidelines, we are reducing daily guest capacity and implementing a new timed ticketing system. Timed tickets allow guests to have more room to play! All guests, including members, must have a timed ticket to enter the museum.
Reserve your timed ticket online today!
Friday & Saturday
Sessions are currently available in seven day increments to allow us to make modifications as needed. If you do not see additional dates and times available, please check back later.
There will be no re-entry into the museum.
Admission for each session is $16 per person age two and older. Under age two is free.
Members are always free! All active memberships when we closed on March 13, 2020 have been automatically extended by three months.
Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden Times and Fees
Friday & Saturday
General admission with butterfly garden access is $21 per person age two and older. Members may add a garden visit for $4 per person age two and older. Under age two is free.
Admission to the garden will be limited to follow social distancing guidelines.
Ensure that you have no symptoms of illness, such as a cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, or fever.
- Bring a mask and prepare to wear it during your museum visit. Masks are required for everyone age 2 and over who is medically able.
- Take a water bottle to use at new, touchless bottle fillers. (Traditional water fountains will not be in use.)
- Read social stories to prepare children for changes to the museum.
- Bring your credit card. Touchless payment systems have been added in the museum for token, train, and carousel transactions.
- Plan for your comfort knowing that the museum coatroom and food court are both closed. Outside food and beverage is not allowed inside the museum.
Learn more about the museum’s new parking garage and procedures.
Please note: To ensure proper social distancing, the parking garage elevator will be limited to one family per ride. If you are able, please use the nearby staircase and stay to the right or park on the lowest level possible.
Follow the social distancing floor markers upon entry. You will see social distancing reminders in the exhibit areas as well.
- Wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth entirely. Per New York State mandate, masks are required for everyone over age 2 who is medically able.
- Present your tickets at the admission desk, which will feature new, plexiglass barriers.
- Members, please have your photo ID and reserved tickets out and ready at check-in.
To exit the museum, guests will travel through a new, temporary exit through the Berenstain Bears exhibit. Please follow the onsite instructions.
Museum hosts will wipe down all high-touch surfaces with hospital-grade disinfectant regularly and encourage guests to use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting an exhibit. All manipulative objects will be sprayed frequently with an electrostatic sprayer.
We will close between sessions each day to complete a deep clean of the entire museum, as well, consistent with Center for Disease Control guidelines.
All museum staff will complete a wellness screen before each shift and wear masks when on the floor and interacting with guests.
The following areas of the museum will be temporarily modified.
- Elaine Wilson Carousel will accept only touchless payment and will have a limited capacity for social distancing restrictions.
- Strong Express Train will accept only touchless payment and will have a limited capacity for social distancing restrictions.
- Guest Rests will be limited to a chair and hard surfaces only (no toys or books).
- Restrooms will have every other stall open and high traffic restrooms will have a dedicated Environmental Services attendant for continuous cleaning.
- The Grada Hopeman Gelser self-checkout kiosk will open on the Monroe County Library System schedule.
- For wheelchair checkout, inquire at the admissions desk. Strollers are not available.
The following areas of the museum will be temporarily closed.
- Food court
- Sandpit area and climbing beanstalk in Reading Adventureland
- Rocket ship climbing area and slide in Imagination Destination
- Rock pit area in Build, Drive, Go!
- Coatroom and stroller checkout
At a time when lost revenue related to the museum’s temporary closing and current limited capacity significantly impacts our ability to operate, the museum will only offer SNAP, military, and college discounts. Guest inquiring about these discounts should call the museum’s call center Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. to reserve and pay for a discounted timed session. SNAP, military, or college ID must be shown at admissions upon arrival.
The team at The Strong is grateful for generous donors whose support allows us to create and share playful, educational content for our community during this difficult time. Thank you!
After your visit, please let us know what you thought by taking a brief survey.
Please read the COVID-19 Liability Waiver.
Updated July 28, 2020