Pirate Island Weekend January 23 & 24
December 17, 2015
For Immediate Release
Pirate Island Weekend
at The Strong Museum
January 23 & 24
Get out of the cold and dive in for a weekend sure to delight landlubbers and scallywags alike during Pirate Island Weekend at The Strong® museum on Saturday, January 23 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, January 24 from 1 to 4 p.m. Jump in for an ocean of adventure that includes character meet and greets, crafts, and more.
All weekend long:
- Pose for pictures with “Captain Jack”—a professional pirate impersonator from Auburn, New York. Listen to stories of adventure on the high seas and learn to talk like a pirate.
- Meet a mermaid and keep an eye out for the Creature from the Black Lagoon!
- Talk with local scuba divers from the Aquatic Center of Rochester, check out their gear, and learn about coral reef exploration. (The Aquatic Center of Rochester is a full-service snorkeling, scuba, and dive training center.)
- Dig in and search for shells at the Kinetic Sand indoor beach.
- Create a life-sized drawing of yourself as a fanciful mermaid or eerie sea creature; and make a whimsical pirate hat or delightful sea creature to take home.
All Pirate Island activities are included with general museum admission fees.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
General Admission Fees (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): age 2 and older $14, under age 2 free, members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $3 for members, $4 for nonmembers, under age 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis during regular museum hours. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.