For more information contact: Shane Rhinewald, The Strong, email@example.com;
ROCHESTER, NY—In partnership with the Rochester Area Community Foundation and Greater Rochester Martin Luther King Jr. Commission, The Strong is pleased to offer free general admission and parking on Saturday, June 18, in celebration of Juneteenth. The event is part of a larger, community celebration beginning at the nearby Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park. (Learn more about the full day’s festivities and history of Juneteenth: ROC Juneteenth Celebration Returns to MLK Park.)
From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the museum, enjoy performances and activities promoting and cultivating the knowledge and appreciation of Black history and culture:
- Listen to stories—including some about the earliest celebrants of Juneteenth—by the Blackstorytelling League of Rochester at 11 a.m.
- Be inspired by the Garth Fagan Student Ensemble at noon
- Meet local writer Nykki Matthews, author of The Truth About Me, at 12:30 p.m.
- Celebrate with performances of African drums and dance by Womba Africa at 1 p.m.
- Sing along with Miss Sweet Potato Pie and the Soul Food Babies at 2 p.m.
- Be inspired by local, Black-owned businesses, such as Hive Creative Works, Boundless Connections, Conkey Cruisers, and Sugary Delights
- Discover the ways Black history has contributed to the history of play with a special artifact tour
All activities are included with free general admission. (Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden and Skyline Climb tickets are not included.) Registration in advance recommended.