The Strong’s teacher-led educational experiences are available for students in pre-K through grade 6. School visits to the museum are by reservation only.
To make a reservation, please send an email with all of your group details (date of visit, number of guests, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your contact information and a good time for us to contact you regarding your visit. Reservations must be booked two weeks in advance of your visit. Date restrictions may apply.
- Funding assistance
- Adult chaperons
- Lunch reservations
- Before your trip
- Museum guidelines
- Special needs
- In case of emergency
School lesson with full-day museum admission
$10 per student
Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden lesson
$11 per student
Field trip (full-day museum admission)
$8 per student
Add $5 per person for each additional lesson booked on the same day for the same students.
Add $5 per person to include a Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden experience.
Add $1 per person to add a train or carousel ride.
Ten students minimum required for school lessons and field trip experiences. School visits to the museum are by reservation only.
Transportation arrangements are the responsibility of the visiting school. The museum is close to many downtown bus routes.
There are three ways to apply for funding assistance:
- An admission discount of $2 off per student is available for Rochester City School District class visits. Call 585-263-2700 for more information.
- Transportation funding of $125 per bus is available to a limited number of classes in Monroe County through the Ruth Donahue Maurer Fund, established in memory of long-time museum volunteer Ruth Donahue Maurer. Demonstration of need is required. Complete the funding request form online or call 585-263-2700 for more information.
- For schools participating in the BOCES Arts in Education program, lesson costs may be eligible for state aid. Please contact Young Audiences of Rochester at 585-530-2060 for more information.
Adult chaperons are required to accompany students on museum visits. Adult chaperons must be at least 18 years of age. School classes may bring one chaperon for every three students (1:3 adult-to-child ratio). Chaperons fulfilling the required adult-to-child ratios are admitted to the museum free of charge and may enterDancing Wings Butterfly Garden with students if the class is scheduled for a butterfly lesson.
Adults beyond the 1:3 adult-to-child ratio, and who are not members, pay full admission.
Lunch may be brought by students or ordered in advance from food court vendors on a menu designed specifically for school groups. Advance reservations for lunch seating are required for all school groups planning to eat at the museum. Lunches ordered from the food court will be delivered to a space reserved for students in the school lunchroom. Groups of 10 or more planning to order from the food court must preorder at least two weeks prior to the scheduled visit. Please note that groups not registered for a school program may not reserve lunch space.
Download a lunch menu or call 585-263-2700 for more information.
Lessons and Field Trips
Final number of attendees in your group and full, nonrefundable payment is due two weeks prior to schedule visit. Payment may be made by cash, check (made payable to The Strong), money order, or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card).
Payment for pre-ordered school lunches must be made separately from payment for school lesson fees and may not be billed. If not paying with cash, please consolidate payment for the group’s lunch order into a single check or charge transaction. Please submit lunch payment only with the lunch order form; do not combine with lesson payment.
- Discuss the day’s plan and schedule with all chaperons and students prior to your visit. This helps everyone know what to expect.
- Create name tags. This will help personalize the visit.
- Review museum guidelines.
Please review these guidelines prior to arrival at the museum.
- Chaperons must stay with an assigned group of children while at the museum. Chaperons are responsible for the safety and behavior of those children.
- Chaperons must immediately report any emergency or any child separated from the group to a museum staff member.
- Be considerate of other guests in the museum.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the exhibits. They can damage exhibits and artifacts.
Individuals and groups are subject to the rules and regulations of The Strong. The Strong reserves the right to expel from the premises any person or group, without refund, where the presence or conduct of the individual or group is deemed objectionable by The Strong in its sole discretion, or if the individual or group fails to comply with any and all security measures and applicable laws.
The museum encourages requests from schools and organizations serving individuals with special needs. Museum educators will adapt lessons to create a tailored experience for students. Visit the Accessibility page for social stories and information about accommodations for students with special needs. For more information, please call 585-263-2700.
The Strong is centrally located at One Manhattan Square in downtown Rochester, New York.
Buses may load and unload at the Howell Street entrance. Please call 585-263-2700 for more information. On-site bus parking is limited and subject to change.
Maximum vehicle height for the museum’s parking garage is 8’ 2”.
Museum security staff is certified in first aid and CPR. If assistance is required, please notify a host (identified by their guest relations shirts, black pants, and museum name tags) or a security officer.