The Strong® is the only collections-based museum in the world devoted solely to play!
The museum blends the best features of both history museums (extensive collections) and children’s museums (high interactivity) and provides families, children, adults, students, teachers, scholars, collectors, and others a multitude of offerings:
- Engaging, hands-on exhibits, plus fascinating displays of artifacts of play
- The great hall of the prestigious National Toy Hall of Fame
- Fun-filled educational programs
- Quality guest services, museum shops, and a food court
- A working carousel from 1918 and the Strong Express passenger train
- Upstate New York’s only year-round, indoor butterfly garden
- Annual memberships
- Woodbury School for children ages 3, 4 and 5
- A circulating library
- Standards-based school lessons
- Teacher development opportunities
The Strong museum is an exciting, hands-on, welcoming place to play, learn, and dream; a place to pretend, wonder, and explore; a place to discover the past and imagine the future; and a place to rekindle memories and make new ones.
The Strong's collections include hundreds of thousands of historical objects related to play, including the world’s largest and most comprehensive collection of toys, dolls, board games, video games, and other electronic games. Tens of thousands of artifacts are on view in museum exhibits and thousands more are viewable online. Also online is the museum’s Play Stuff Blog. Visit it often and journey through the museum’s vast collections with curators who mix history with fun as they share memories and stories about their favorite artifacts.