Summer of Storybook Friends and Farewell Parades at National Museum of Play
May 31, 2012
A Summer of Storybook Friends and Farewell Parades
at the National Museum of Play® at The Strong®
July 6–September 2
Note to calendar editors:
The museum closes an hour earlier than usual at 4 p.m. on Wednesday July 4.
The National Museum of Play at The Strong invites you to enjoy a summer filled with Literature Live storybook character appearances every Friday through Sunday, and Farewell Parades daily from July 6 through September 2.
Expanded Literature Live Weekends: The popular, year-round Literature Live series expands from two to three days all summer long. Beloved literary characters jump off the pages of favorite books to meet, greet, and pose for pictures with museum guests Fridays and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 1 to 5 p.m. from July 6 through September 2. Continue the experience at home when you check out a book from the Literature Live story cart. Don’t have a Monroe County library card? Area residents can apply for one at the museum’s Grada Hopeman Gelser Library (a mini-branch of the Monroe County Library System).
Daily Farewell Parades: Join in a rousing musical Farewell Parade at the conclusion of each and every day. Kids and families are invited to march through the exhibit galleries at 4:50 p.m. on Sundays through Thursdays, and at 7:50 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
Literature Live Weekends Summer Schedule
- July 6, 7 & 8: Brother Bear from the Berenstain Bears books. Plus, enjoy bear-related crafts.
- July 13, 14 & 15: Skippyjon Jones, a Siamese kitten who prefers to imagine himself an adventurous, sword-fighting Chihuahua named El Skippito.
- July 20, 21 & 22: Lulu the Ladybug Girl who seeks out imaginative adventures in her own backyard.
- July 27, 28 & 29: Mama Bear from the Berenstain Bears books. Plus, enjoy bear-related crafts.
- August 3, 4 & 5: The Lorax from the Dr. Seuss book. Plus, special story times and crafts with recycled materials.
- August 10, 11 & 12: Lyle Lyle Crocodile, a city-dwelling crocodile who lives in a Victorian brownstone with a family named the Primms.
- August 17, 18 & 19: Sister Bear from the Berenstain Bears books. Plus, enjoy Bear-related crafts.
- August 24, 25 & 26: Peter Rabbit Beatrix Potter’s beloved bunny.
- August 31 and September 1 & 2: Papa Bear from the Berenstain Bears books. Plus enjoy bear-related crafts.
All Literature Live and Farewell Parade activities are included with general museum admission fees. Literature Live returns to Saturday and Sunday hours during fall 2012.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to
8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
Admission Fees: General Admission (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): Adults $13, Seniors $12, Children (2–15) $11, Children younger than two free, Museum members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $2 for members, $4 for nonmembers; children under 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.