Meet Cat in The Hat at National Museum of Play February 20
January 25, 2012
For Immediate Release
WXXI Celebrates Dr. Seuss’s Birthday
at the National Museum of Play®
(Come and Meet The Cat in the Hat!)
WXXI celebrates Dr. Seuss’s Birthday with The Cat in the Hat at the National Museum of Play on Monday, February 20 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The special birthday activities are part of Read Across America, a national program sponsored annually by the National Education Association to encourage reading, which takes place on or near Dr. Seuss’s birthday, March 2.
- Meet The Cat in the Hat, shake his paw, and pose for pictures.
- View screenings of a never-before-seen Cat in the Hat Knows A Lot About That! episode in the museum theater.
- Drop in for readings of classic Dr. Seuss books led by WXXI staff at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Make and decorate your own whimsical oversized hat to take home and build something silly with Fat Brain toys.
- Challenge yourself with hands-on science activities courtesy of WXXI, including a Science Scavenger Hunt throughout the museum.
- Stop by the Upside-Down House in Reading Adventureland and discover tongue twisters, jokes, and silly recipes.
Did you know that the National Museum of Play is a mini-branch of the Monroe County Library system? Use your library card to check out some silly stories and many wonderful titles located in book nooks throughout the galleries. Don’t have a library card? You can sign up for one at the museum’s Gelser Library Desk and also learn about WXXI’s PBS Kids’ Club.
To commemorate Dr. Seuss’s birthday, WXXI will broadcast a two-hour The Cat in the Hat-a-Thon! On Friday, March 2, 2012 at 8 a.m. and again at 2:30 p.m. on WXXI-TV/HD (DT2.1/cable 1011 and 11).
(Note: This event runs simultaneously with Fat Brain School-Break Week activities at the National Museum of Play, February 18 to 26. All Cat in the Hat and School-Break Week activities are included with general museum admission fees.)
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
Admission Fees: General Admission (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®):Adults $13, Seniors $12, Children (2–15) $11, Children younger than two free, Museum members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $2 for members, $4 for nonmembers; children under 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.