The Strong Museum is Open!
Upon your next visit you will notice some changes including touchless payments, limited capacity, timed tickets, and enhanced sanitation protocols. While the museum experience will be a bit different from the last time that you visited, one essential thing will remain the same: our mission to promote the importance of play, with its power to teach, spark imagination, and create joy. Let’s play!
Quick Guide: What to Know Before You Go
- Daily capacity will be limited.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home.
- Masks (or face shields) are required for everyone age 2 and over. You will not be able to enter without one.
- Physical distancing measures will be implemented.
- Food service areas will be closed.
- Additional sanitation measures have been added.
The Strong follows guidelines and recommendations from state and county health departments. We expect to adapt, change, or ease these policies as the health conditions change.
Learn More Before Your Visit!
Hours and Admission Fees
Prepare for Your Visit at Home
Staff Safety Procedures
Modified Areas in the Museum
Closed Areas in the Museum
To provide the best visitor experience and adhere to social distancing guidelines, we are reducing daily guest capacity. It’s recommended that all guests, including members, reserve a ticket to enter the museum.
Reserve your ticket online today!
10 a.m.–3 p.m.
Friday & Saturday
10 a.m.–5 p.m.
10 a.m.–4 p.m.
Daily reservations are currently available in seven day increments to allow us to make modifications as needed. If you do not see additional dates available, please check back later.
Admission for each session is $16 per person age two and older. Under age two is free.
Members are always free! All active memberships when we closed on March 13, 2020 have been automatically extended by three months.
Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden Times and Fees
Last entry is 2:15 p.m.
11 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Last entry is 4:15 p.m.
11 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Last entry is 3:15 p.m.
General admission with butterfly garden access is $21 per person age two and older. Members may add a garden visit for $4 per person age two and older. Under age two is free.
Admission to the garden will be limited to follow social distancing guidelines.
Ensure that you have no symptoms of illness, such as a cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, or fever.
- Bring a mask and prepare to wear it during your museum visit. Masks (or face shields) are required for everyone age 2 and over. You may not enter the museum without one.
- Take a water bottle to use at new, touchless bottle fillers. (Traditional water fountains will not be in use.)
- Read social stories to prepare children for changes to the museum.
- Bring your credit card. Touchless payment systems have been added in the museum for token, train, and carousel transactions.
- Plan for your comfort knowing that the museum coatroom and food court are both closed.
Learn more about the museum’s new parking garage and procedures.
Please note: To ensure proper social distancing, the parking garage elevator will be limited to one family per ride. If you are able, please use the nearby staircase and stay to the right or park on the lowest level possible.
Follow the social distancing floor markers upon entry. You will see social distancing reminders in the exhibit areas as well.
- Wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth entirely. Masks (or face shields) are required for everyone age 2 and over. You will not be able to enter the museum without one.
- Present your tickets at the admission desk, which will feature new, plexiglass barriers.
- Members, please have your photo ID and reserved tickets out and ready at check-in.
To exit the museum, guests will travel through a new, temporary exit through the Berenstain Bears exhibit. Please follow the onsite instructions.
Museum hosts will wipe down all high-touch surfaces with hospital-grade disinfectant regularly and encourage guests to use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting an exhibit. All manipulative objects will be sprayed frequently with an electrostatic sprayer.
We will close between sessions each day to complete a deep clean of the entire museum, as well, consistent with Center for Disease Control guidelines.
All museum staff will complete a wellness screen before each shift and wear masks when on the floor and interacting with guests.
The following areas of the museum will be temporarily modified.
- Elaine Wilson Carousel will accept only touchless payment and will have a limited capacity for social distancing restrictions.
- Strong Express Train will accept only touchless payment and will have a limited capacity for social distancing restrictions.
- Guest Rests will be limited to a chair and hard surfaces only (no toys or books).
- Restrooms will have every other stall open and high traffic restrooms will have a dedicated Environmental Services attendant for continuous cleaning.
- The Grada Hopeman Gelser self-checkout kiosk will open on the Monroe County Library System schedule.
- For wheelchair checkout, inquire at the admissions desk. Strollers are not available.
The following areas of the museum will be temporarily closed.
- Food court
- Sandpit area and climbing beanstalk in Reading Adventureland
- Rocket ship climbing area and slide in Imagination Destination
- Rock pit area in Build, Drive, Go!
- Coatroom and stroller checkout
At a time when lost revenue related to the museum’s temporary closing and current limited capacity significantly impacts our ability to operate, the museum will only offer SNAP, military, and college discounts. These discounts cannot be redeemed online but will be accepted at the admissions desk with proper identification.
The team at The Strong is grateful for generous donors whose support allows us to create and share playful, educational content for our community during this difficult time. Thank you!
After your visit, please let us know what you thought by taking a brief survey.
Please read the COVID-19 Liability Waiver. All guests that do not reserve tickets online need to complete a COVID-19 tracing and liability form. Download and fill out a printed version in advance of your visit.
Updated November 24, 2020