The Strong invites undergraduate and graduate college students from diverse backgrounds with an interest in a career in the museum field to take part in the museum’s Diversity Internship Program. Depending upon the availability of projects, interns may choose to focus on a particular area in the museum such as administration, collections, education, exhibits, marketing, or guest services, or interns may opt for a combination of areas for a broader experience.
The Strong does not place any restrictions on what constitutes diversity. However, preference will be given to those candidates who best identify how they will add to the diversity of The Strong and the museum field generally.
- Like all Strong staff, internship applicants must consent to a criminal background check and a drug screen.
- Undergraduate students interested in participating in the program must have completed at least one full year of college.
- Internships are a minimum of eight weeks and maximum of ten weeks in duration.
- Interns work up to 37.5 hours weekly and receive a stipend of $11.80 per hour. (Stipend does not include travel expenses or housing.)
- Interns must attend all training sessions and meetings required by their supervisor.
Submit completed internship packets to Lauren Rothfuss, Human Resources Coordinator, The Strong, One Manhattan Square, Rochester, NY 14607 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include all of the following:
- completed diversity internship application
- current college transcript (this does not need to be official)
- letter stating personal interests, reasons for wanting to work at The Strong, desired learning outcomes for the internship, and potential benefits to The Strong
- at least two letters of recommendation from faculty sponsors
The Strong will consider each student’s interests and determine whether an appropriate project is available. If one is, the applicant will receive an interview with the Human Resources Coordinator and, if appropriate, members of The Strong’s history, collections, research, education, or marketing and communications teams. The deadline to apply is March 31st.