May 24 through September 7
Step right up! Celebrate arcade amusements in all their beeping, blipping, vibrant glory at Boardwalk Arcade, an original summertime exhibit at The Strong museum. Step into a scene reminiscent of 19th- and early 20th-century seaside resorts such as Coney Island and Atlantic City and journey through the evolution of arcade amusements.
- Play carnival games, including bean bag toss and ring toss.
- Challenge yourself to contemporary arcade games such as Skee Ball, Hoop Fever, Ticket Monster, Harpoon Lagoon, Fruit Ninja, Temple Run, and Batman Whack-a-Villian; win tickets and redeem them for a prize.
- Play historic video arcade machines such as Spy Hunter (1983), Punch Out!! (1984), Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1985), Virtua Racing (1992), Prop Cycle (1996) and The Ocean Hunter (1998).
- Bring your camera! An oversized beach cut-out provides an unforgettable photo op.
- Spin the wheel of fortune to see what your future holds.
- See display cases of unique artifacts—including toy carousels— from The Strong’s renowned collections.
- Visit the “beach” and dig into creative play with beach toys and laugh at your distorted reflection in silly fun-house mirrors.
- Pull the plunger and rack up scores on a bevy of pinball machines in Pinball Playfields.
Produced by The Strong's International Center for the History of Electronic Games.
While several of the games and activities in Boardwalk Arcade can be played freely, some may require purchased tokens. Money collected from the sale of tokens helps maintain these original artifacts.