New York State Summer of Fun at The Strong Museum Weekends July 8–August 27
July 6, 2017
For Immediate Release
New York State Summer of Fun
at The Strong® Museum
Weekends July 8–August 27
Discover the diverse regions of the Empire State during New York State Summer of Fun at The Strong museum on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m., July 8 to August 27. Create souvenirs, take fun photos, and learn about New York State’s historical museums, picturesque landscapes, and thriving arts and cultural centers.
“The New York State Summer of Fun combines two of our greatest tourism assets—The Strong National Museum of Play and our state’s rich history and heritage from across its many unique geographic regions,” says Senator Rich Funke, Chair of the New York State Senate Committee on Cultural Affairs, Tourism, Parks & Recreation. “Whether it’s to learn more about the place they live or regions they’ve never tried, I encourage families from all over our state to visit The Strong soon to enjoy this New York State Summer of Fun.”
Delight in activities all summer long that delve into unique regions and one-of-a-kind destinations:
- Race off to Capital Saratoga and create a derby hat inspired by the famous Saratoga Race Course.
- Commemorate the bicentennial of the Erie Canal and marvel at an interactive demonstration of a model lock, sing along to tunes inspired by the canal, and discover how organizations celebrate the canal.
- Dive into “America’s favorite pastime” and learn how to make a baseball with staff from Cooperstown’s National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Embark on a nautical adventure down New York’s Seaway Trail and learn how to identify fish.
- Explore Greater Niagara and Chautauqua-Allegheny and climb into a barrel and take a picture as you pretend to go over the falls.
- Enjoy the majestic Catskills and Hudson Valley and meet Rip Van Winkle and hear about his legendary 20-year nap in the Catskills.
- Learn about the Adirondacks and join in a campfire sing-along, pretend to paddle down a river in a kayak, and find out the best trails and places to boat in the region.
- Travel to Long Island and New York City and watch the Statue of Liberty come to life and craft a boat house.
Full program descriptions are available on The Strong’s website. All New York State Summer of Fun activities are included with general museum admission fees. Presented in partnership with I LOVE NY. Programs underwritten in part by Delta Air Lines, the official airline of The Strong.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
General Admission Fees (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): age 2 and older $14.50, under age 2 free, members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $4 for members, $5 for nonmembers, under age 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis during regular museum hours. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.