Sci-Fi Summer at The Strong Weekends July 9–August 28
June 8, 2016
For Immediate Release
Sci-Fi Summer at The Strong
Weekends July 9–August 28
Embark on exciting adventures during Sci-Fi Summer at The Strong® museum on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m., July 9 to August 28. Be delighted by special guests and enjoy themed activities inspired by the new Rockets, Robots, and Ray Guns exhibit:
- July 9 & 10: Rochester Ghostbusters. Meet the Rochester Ghostbusters, a fan group of the famous film. Visit the space lab and battle action figures in galaxy slime. Saturday only, meet members of the Rochester Sci-Fi/Role Playing Geek Meet Up Group and learn about their interactive events and activities.
- July 16 & 17: Galactic Warriors. Stop by a “Jedi” training camp presented by the Rochester Fencing Club. Join in interactive demonstrations of fencing etiquette, basic footwork, and blade work. Create a foam lightsaber to take home.
- July 23 & 24: Alien Encounters. Pose for a photo with a friendly alien and a give a high five to a mischievous Martian. Dress up as a creepy alien in the cosmic costume shop and accessorize with your very own googly-eyed headband.
- July 30 & 31: Starships and UFOs. Meet David Ramsay, who appeared in the 1997 alien battle film Starship Troopers. See his costume and learn about his experience working on the film. Snap a selfie with the TARDIS from Doctor Who. Create a UFO using tin foil and paper plates.
- August 6 & 7: Rebels and Imperials. Take pictures with characters from the 501st and Rebel Legions. Check out the R2-D2 Builder’s Club, a group of builders who make versions of the famous Star Wars character. Create your own set of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who popsicle stick puppets. Take your creations to the galaxy box theater and act out a fun sci-fi scene.
- August 13 & 14: Galactic Warriors. The Rochester Fencing Club returns for a fun-filled visit. Improve your “Jedi” skills at the training camp and join in interactive demonstrations of fencing etiquette, footwork, and blade work. Create a foam lightsaber to take home.
- August 20 & 21: Cosmic Creations. See out-of-this-world creations by local artists, such as Gil Merritt’s pipe cleaner characters and Dave Pollot’s creature paintings. Visit the craft station and use circuit boards and metallic crayons to design an imaginary device to take home.
- August 27 & 28: Space Cadets. Journey to outer space at astronaut training camp. Strap on a pretend jetpack and blast through a variety of physical challenges, including leaping over space rocks. View a glowing cosmos and a variety of light-up toys in the ultraviolet room. Greet a traveling astronaut that space walks through the museum.
And all summer long, view sci-fi toothpick creations by Guinness World Record holder Stan Munro and craft a Star Wars character using fingers and ink pads courtesy of Klutz’s Star Wars Thumb Doodles.
All Sci-Fi Summer activities are included with general museum admission fees. Programs underwritten in part by Delta Air Lines, the official airline of The Strong.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
General Admission Fees (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): age 2 and older $14, under age 2 free, members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $3 for members, $4 for nonmembers, under age 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis during regular museum hours. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.