Summer of Fun at The Strong Weekdays July 6–August 21
June 11, 2015
For Immediate Release
Summer of Fun at The Strong Museum
Weekdays July 6–August 21
Summer at The Strong museum has never been more playful! Enjoy themed activities including arts and crafts, games and books, and imaginative play Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., July 6 to August 21. Be on the lookout for special guests, interactive storytelling, and celebratory surprises. The summer schedule follows:
- July 6–10: Swashbucklers and Scallywags. Discover an ocean of adventure. Learn to talk like a pirate, create a sea captain’s hat, and walk the plank and swab the deck to collect a piece of gold from the treasure chest. Meet Olympic fencer Iris Zimmermann between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday only. Watch high-energy fencing demonstrations, try on gear, and more.
- July 13–17: Fairies and Elves. View an award-winning display of fairy houses from the Corn Hill Arts Festival Fairy House Tour, make a fairy-themed craft, and try on butterfly wings. Meet a woodland fairy or elf from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day. Enjoy half-price admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden. (Limited quantity. Timed tickets available for purchase at the museum admission desk.) On Monday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. only, meet Fairy Houses series author Tracy Kane.
- July 20–24: Wild, Wild West. Ride in for a wild west adventure. Test rodeo skills, sift for gold, round up cattle, and listen to campfire stories. Groom the stable horses, make a paper cowboy hat or sheriff badge, and more.
- July 27–31: Super Sleuths. Hone detective skills, investigate a crime scene, and try to find the culprit. Make a disguise, see if you can crack a code, and vote for your favorite Scooby-Doo villain.
- August 3–7: Dancing with The Strong. Get grooving with dancing and movement activities. Make a rainbow dancing stick, complete a dance activity sheet, and stop by the newly relocated DanceLab. On Monday only, watch a live performance by A Moving Experience, the Arc of Monroe County’s modern dance troupe.
- August 10–14: Storybook Stars. Come dressed as your favorite storybook character and meet a star from favorite literary classics each day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. such as Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, or Alice from Wonderland. Listen to stories read aloud, make your own fairy-tale puppets, and put on a puppet show.
- August 17–21: Jugglers and Jokesters. Enjoy strolling and “pop-up” performances including juggling, unicycle riding, and more by Flower City Vaudeville. This Rochester troupe provides playful entertainment for all ages. Learn to juggle, and make a joke book and jester hat to take home.
Summer of Fun sponsored by WPXY and WBZA. All themed, summer activities are included with general museum admission fees.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
General Admission Fees (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): age 2 and older $13.50, under age 2 free, members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General admission fee plus $3 for members, $4 for nonmembers, under age 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis during regular museum hours. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.