Hometown Heroes Day at The Strong May 10
April 14, 2014
For Immediate Release
Hometown Heroes Day
at The Strong Museum
Celebrate local heroes during Hometown Heroes Day at The Strong® National Museum of Play® on Saturday, May 10 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Greet first responders, meet heroic animals, check out emergency vehicles, and more.
The schedule of events follows:
- Enjoy theater performances that celebrate the heroic qualities in all people, called “You Don’t Have to Wear a Cape,” by Allendale Columbia students at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Learn how you can prevent forest fires. Meet Smokey Bear and New York State Forest Ranger Daniel Cordell from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Explore an ambulance, meet an EMT, and see life-saving equipment used by first responders from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Meet Wayne County Deputy Brian Pitt and his bloodhound, Maisy.
- Check out a working fire truck; try on a firefighter’s uniform; pose for a photograph with Sparky, the mascot for the Rochester Fire Department; and venture into the Fire Safety Smoke House. (The safety house is a mobile classroom with child-size rooms featuring real life “safety hazards” that allow students to safely experience the sights, sounds, and dangers associated with fire in the home.)
- Learn how dialing 911 helps in an emergency, try the phone simulator, and meet Monroe County 911 mascot Red E. Fox.
- Meet and pose for pictures with Siren, the Livingston County fire dog, and learn about fire safety.
Note: All emergency vehicles and animals have limited hours and may be called away from the museum to serve the community.
All Hometown Heroes Weekend activities are included with general museum admission fees.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
General Admission Fees (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): age 2 and older $13.50, under age 2 free, members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $3 for members, $4 for nonmembers, under age 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.