Discover the Silk Road October 14
September 24, 2013
For Immediate Release
Discover the Silk Road
at the National Museum of Play®
October 14 (Columbus Day)
Explore the traditions, folklore, and culture of Xinjiang, China this Columbus Day during Discover the Silk Road at the National Museum of Play at The Strong® on Monday, October 14 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Participate in the interactive workshop “Aurora over the Silk Road,” and embark on a journey that includes original costumes, live music, and dance that illuminate this historic route that connected parts of Europe, Africa, and Asia.
- Check out a puppet show featuring Gul (a little girl), Koy (a sheep), and Toge (a camel) as they examine the vast history of Xinjiang, China—the “heart of the Silk Road.”
- Enjoy expressive dance performances, including the fast-spinning movements of the Uzbek and Uygur styles, and learn some dance steps of your own.
- Listen to the beat of the dumbek, a Middle Eastern drum shaped like an hourglass, and try your hand at drumming at a hands-on music station.
- Pet a live silk worm and learn about how silk is made.
- Feel wool from different animals, see a live demonstration about how felt is created, and play a wool matching game.
- Head to the craft station to make your own camel mask.
Teen siblings Anthony and Yasmine Garay created and produced “Aurora over the Silk Road” in 2007 as the culmination of a home-school project and are touring it across the country. Learn more about the workshop at www.yasmanth.org.
All Discover the Silk Road activities are included with general museum admission fees.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and
Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
General Admission Fees (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): age 2 and older $13, under age 2 free, members free.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $3 for members, $4 for nonmembers, under age 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.