Through October 12, 2018
Explore the evolution of jigsaw puzzles and learn how they have been made through the years at Jigsaw Puzzles: Putting it All Together. See dozens of puzzle examples ranging from the late 1700s to today and learn about the tools used to create these beloved playthings:
- View early puzzles from the 18th and 19th centuries depicting maps of Europe and America—including the first commercial puzzle.
- See a foot-powered jigsaw and watch a video of professional puzzle-cutters to learn how the intricate pieces are cut.
- Discover how changing technologies, such as steel-cut dies, made puzzles easier and cheaper to produce.
- Check out “weekly puzzles” that sold at American newsstands for only 10 cents!
- Examine the impact of pop culture on puzzle-making with examples of Pokémon, SpongeBob, and Star Wars!
- Gaze at modern 3-dimensional and electronic puzzles.
- Trace puzzles’ role as an advertising tool for everything from cars to fast food!
- Try your hand at our interactive puzzle and become a part of a puzzle photo op.
Jigsaw Puzzles: Putting it All Together remains on view through October 12, 2018.