The Strong considers its staff and volunteers its greatest resources. To help it carry out its mission, the museum seeks talented individuals with a passion for outstanding service.
The Strong provides equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual preference, age, race, color, creed, national origin, disability, and military or marital status.
The Strong blends the best features of both history museums and children’s museums—extensive collections and high interactivity—to serve a diverse audience of children, families, adults, students, educators, scholars, and collectors. Paid and volunteer positions may be available to support the museum and its International Center for the History of Electronic Games, National Toy Hall of Fame, World Video Game Hall of Fame, Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play, Woodbury School, and American Journal of Play.
After reviewing the available positions (below), candidates should enter The Strong’s online career center, which is provided through InfinityHR to begin the application process: build a profile, enter education and work histories, upload a resume, and add any additional information. To check the status of a completed application, candidates should log into the online career center using their user name and password.
Applying for positions via the career center website allows The Strong’s Human Resources Team to receive and review application materials in a more timely fashion than any other method of application. Candidates experiencing any difficulty with the online career center can send an email with resume attached to email@example.com.
The application review process normally takes between two to four weeks to complete, and all applicants receive a response at the completion of the process. Candidates selected for employment must consent to a criminal background check and drug screen.
Current Job Opportunities
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Strong is looking for a full time, day shift, Security Officer to protect, safeguard, and secure the museum collections, staff and guests. The Security Officer conducts frequent tours of the museum building and grounds and investigates and reports on accidents, incidents, suspicious activities, safety and fire hazards, and other security related situations. Weekend and holiday availability is required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Associate's Degree in criminal justice or comparable experience
- Valid NYS Driver’s License and Security Guard license
- Working knowledge of security operations, safety practices, and enforcement procedures in a business environment
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to understand and follow standard operating procedures and to perform duties in a professional manner and appearance
- Experience investigating and writing incident reports, and making independent, reasonable decisions within proper policy and procedures
- Successfully complete, become certified, and stay current with Red Cross basic first aid training, AED training, and adult and child CPR training.
Must consent to and pass a drug screen, physical, and criminal background check as conditions of employment. The Strong is a smoke-free campus, and smoking is not allowed on museum property.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Strong is looking for enthusiastic individuals to facilitate non-traditional learning experiences for pre-kindergarten through third grade. Using lessons developed by museum educators, teaching hosts work with visiting school groups in the museum's interactive galleries. Hosts must be adaptable, possess exceptional communication skills, and enjoy working on a team. This position is part-time and requires the candidate to have a flexible schedule conducive to working variable hours during the school year. Responsibilities include:
- Teach museum lessons according to established procedures.
- Use teaching methods that conform with established museum procedures.
- Attend all training and enrichment programs.
- Assist with related school program activities including, but not limited to, the creation of curriculum materials incorporating the recommendations of community advisors as appropriate, and the facilitation of an annual advance placement conference for high school students.
- New York State Early Childhood Teaching Certification
- Familiarity with the theory of multiple intelligences
- Experience working as a classroom teacher in pre-kindergarten through 3rd grade
Must consent to and pass a drug screen and criminal background check as conditions of employment. The Strong is a smoke-free campus, and smoking is not allowed on museum property.
Food Service Host
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Strong is one of the country's top-rated family destinations. We hire friendly and respectful individuals who believe in making the Food Court a place where our guests can enjoy their meals and recharge after hours of interactive fun in the museum.
Food Service Hosts are fully dedicated team members, shaping the experience of thousands of visitors each year and contributing to a culture of teamwork, desire to excel, and commitment to unparalleled guest service. Whether at Subway, Taco Bell, or Pizza Hut Express, Food Service Hosts take part in the complete guest experience by proactively approaching guests at the counter, preparing items as requested, answering questions about our menus, and offering suggestions for meal solutions.
From cleaning and replenishing food stations, handling monetary transactions, and providing continuous and courteous service in a fast paced setting, our Food Court Team helps build The Strong's reputation. In this role, Food Service Hosts work well independently and with a team, are punctual, have good attendance, uphold established procedures to ensure health and safety standards, and more.
- Open availability, or availability to work weekends (Friday-Sunday) at the very least
- A high school diploma or GED; we will also consider current high school students 17+ years of age
- Enthusiasm for extraordinary guest service and an infectiously positive attitude
- The ability to be cross-trained in all areas of the Food Court
- A centrally located workplace
- A comprehensive training program for all new staff
- Part- time, entry-level positions with no late nights or drive-thru windows!
- Free parking and free museum admission for all staff, plus discounted family admission
- Meal and gift shop discounts
- Flexible scheduling for students in high school or college
Must consent to and pass a drug screen and criminal background check as conditions of employment. The Strong is a smoke-free campus and smoking is not allowed on museum property.